On the outside, it often looks like people don’t care about others. It appears that people are selfish. But if you take a closer look, you’ll see that everyone is affected by what other people think and do. Let me give you a few examples:
- The guy who’s going to the gym for years and always thinks other people have bigger muscles than him.
- The girl who’s not going after her career because she doesn’t want her friends and family to judge her.
- The guy who’s dressing in t-shirts because he’s afraid of what his “bro’s” will say if he expresses his true style.
- The guy who thinks people will not take him seriously because of his accent.
- The girl who thinks her followers will not approve of saying something that’s controversial.
I can go on for a while. And I can’t say I’m immune to these thoughts. We all care about what others think because it’s part of our nature. Humans all have the drive to be accepted. That’s called Belongingness.