Do you care about what people think of you? Or are you often thinking about other people’s actions? Well, you’re not alone. While it might seem that people are selfish, most of us care a lot about what others think. If you take a closer look, you’ll see that everyone is affected by what other people think and do. Let me give you a few examples:
- The guy who’s going to the gym for years and always thinks other people have bigger muscles than him.
- The girl who’s not going after her career because she doesn’t want her friends and family to judge her.
- The guy who’s dressing in t-shirts because he’s afraid of what his “bro’s” will say if he expresses his true style.
- The guy who thinks people will not take him seriously because of his accent.
- The girl who thinks her followers will not approve of saying something that’s controversial.
I can go on for a while. And I can’t say I’m immune to these thoughts. We all care about what others think because it’s part of our nature. Humans all have the drive to be accepted. That’s called Belongingness.